Teacher Job Description Sample - Free Template for 2020
A teacher is a professional who can understand curriculum needs and design in-classroom educational activities to allow children of all ages to educate themselves. Teachers can instruct on a variety of subject matter. From history to math. Or from social studies to science. A teacher can work in a school both privately and publicly and educate students from grade levels K-12. And focus on subjects like language arts, science, math, English, and more.
A teacher can be found within a preschool, elementary school, primary school, special education school, and more. A career professional in education is one that has a qualified teacher status and some previous in-classroom experience.
Table of Contents
- Teacher Job Description Sample
- Teacher Salary
- Teacher Job Description For The Resume (Resume Summary)
- Teacher Skills
- Teacher Duties & Responsibilities
- Teacher Requirements
Teacher Job Description Sample
Our school is in search of a diligent and energetic teacher who is passionate about education. Our ideal teacher is someone who sees themselves as an educator, counselor, and advisor. Teachers should embody the passion for education on a personal level and in a group setting. Our ideal candidate is a professional who can make education a fun learning experience. We want children to be excited about their education and future.
According to data collected by PayScale in 2019, the national average salary for a teacher is $49,300.00 per year. That equates to a median wage of $13.23 per hour. Entry-level teachers with less than one year of experience can expect to see earnings of $9.14 per hour. Those who have been working as teachers for twenty years or longer are reporting wages of at least $23.78 per hour or higher.
Teacher Job Description for a Resume
Versatile and detail-oriented teacher with over five years of experience in the K-12 education system. Comfortable with preparing children of all ages for standardized testing. Comfortable with curriculum building and ensuring that students are being properly educated through testing and homework assignments.
A Teacher spends the majority of their day interacting with guests and customers. Therefore, these examples of skills must be a priority:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding ability to turn education into an entertaining experience.
- Social skills that can be applied to education.
- Planning skills that can be applied to curriculum building.
- Organizational skills that can be applied to homework assignments and grading.
Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
A qualified teacher is able to perform the teacher job, responsibilities, and job duties like the following:
- Develop assignments and classroom curriculums that are on par with our state board educational requirements.
- Turn the classroom into an environment conducive to education.
- Build, assign and grade homework assignments.
- Build, assign and grade classroom projects.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences and address children's needs with their mothers and fathers.
- Evaluate students' progress and ensure each student is meeting goals you have for them.
- Plan and implement educational activities.
- Perform the regular administrative duties required to conduct a healthy classroom.
- Deploy multiple teaching methods to ensure students receive world-class education.
- Work closely with students to ensure the student needs are put as a first priority.
- Ensure each child or student clearly understands the purpose of your lesson.
- Provide general instruction and guidance to students and create a classroom environment conducive to learning and education.
- Instruct students on homework assigns and classroom projects.
- Comfortable conducting meetings with parents to review a students progress and student performance.
- Reviews lesson plans for the week and ensures that the classroom is prepared for the needs of the lesson plans.
In order for someone to teach professionally, they will have to have their degree in teaching. It is recommended that the teacher have at least 2 years of prior experience in a classroom setting. Qualifications for a teacher should be the following:
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Teaching or Education.
- Prior experience in the classroom. Ideally, 2 years or more.
- Knowledge of working with children grades K-12.
- Experience designing and following curriculums for K-12.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills.
- Ability to stand on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to turn the classroom into an environment conducive to education.
Teacher Job Description FAQ's
Questions and answers for employers.
What type of job title is this job description template suitable for?
The following job titles:
- High School Teacher
- Elementary Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher
- Preschool Teacher
- Primary School Teacher
- Private Music Teacher
- Head Teacher
- Language Arts Teacher
- English Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Early Childhood Education Teacher
- Music Teacher
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring ResourcesBest Teacher Assistant Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
5+ Best Teacher Assistant Interview Questions & Answers
Substitute Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Best Teacher Resignation Letter Example (+ Free Template Download)
5 Cover Letter Mistakes Teachers Should Avoid (+ Examples)
Best Teacher Cover Letter Example (+ Writing Tips and Free Template) 
Preschool Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Daycare Teacher Job Description Sample
5+ Best Teacher Aide Interview Questions & Answers
5+ Best Substitute Teacher Interview Questions & Answers
Teacher Assistant Resume Example
How to Prepare for Your First Language Teacher Job Interview
10+ Teacher Resume Objectives (Examples)
Special Education Teacher Job Description
Art Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Teacher Letter of Resignation Example
ESL Teacher Job Description
Substitute Teacher Resume Example [2020 Updated]
ESL Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Teacher: What They Do, How to Become One, Resources
Lead Teacher Job Description
Biology Teacher Cover Letter Sample
Teacher Interview Questions & Answers (Special Education, Kindergarten) for 2020
Art Teacher Job Description
Art Teacher Interview Questions
Best Preschool Teacher Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
Best Substitute Teacher Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..