Prep Cook Job Description: Salary, Duties, Skills
An Prep Cook is someone who works closely with the kitchen staff to ensure all ingredients are ready for the daily meals. A Prep Cook may find themselves chopping vegetables one minute to then carrying in new food items ready to be washed and organized. They are professionals who help to ensure that the work flow is smooth and that no mistakes a made.
Table Of Contents
Prep Cook Job Description Sample
A Prep Cook is a professional who work inside of a restaurant setting. They are individuals who have previous cook experience or kitchen experience. They work closely with the head chef in order to perform entry-level tasks. The primary job function of the Prep Cook is to ensure that all preparation is made for the upcoming meal settings. This could include the cleaning of food, the chopping of vegetables, the peeling of potatoes, and much more.
Prep Cook Resume Summary
This is how you might describe your position as a Prep Cook in a resume summary, executive summary or professional summary:
3+ years kitchen experience. Knife handling skills. Able to multi-task under pressure. OK with high levels of criticism. Understand a chef's needs. Able to be flexible with my hours.
Prep Cook National Average Salary
National average salary for a Prep Cook is provided by The U.S. Department of Labor. National averages are a cumulative total average as seen by a non-specific geographic mean average. That means this is the average salary that you might expect to have (regardless of geographic region) when entering into this job function.
National average salary: $8.70/hr - $14.33/hr
Prep Cook Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring food safety at all times
- Ensuring food preparation in accordance to the head chef needs
- Following standard procedures as designed by the restaurant estalishment
- Install, set up and break down any food preparation equipment or materials
- Ensure all needed ingredients are available for the day-to-day needs
- Maintain a very hygienic food environment at all times
- Some interaction with customers may be required
- Understand food protocol and preparation techniques
Prep Cook Skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Listening skills
- Detail-oriented skills
- Self-motivation skills
- Organizational skills
- Collaboration skills
- Empathetic skills
- Goal setting skills
Prep Cook Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Previous food or kitchen experience preferred
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift at least 50 pound items
- Ability to work under pressure and present themselves calmly
- Ability to demonstrate leadership under pressure
- Ability to take criticism
- Basic knowledge of professional cooking and knife handling preferred
- Ability to perform food safety and handling procedure
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..