Barista Job Description Sample
A barista is a coffee professional. When you go to order your coffee in the morning from Starbucks, Petes Coffee or other; you're speaking with the barista to do so. The barista is more than just a coffee maker. They are the person that connects with you on a personal level to ensure that both the quality of service is upheld as well as the final product.
Table Of Contents
Barista Job Description Sample
A barista is a coffee house professional. They are the people who help take a customers coffee or pastry order and turn it into service. A barista requires a keen ability for great customer service and driving customer happiness. A barista must be well-versed in the knowledge of many types of coffee beans, coffee drinks and coffee making formulas. They are the professionals who are in control of the coffee-making process, meaning they must maintain clean cooking areas at all times. Baristas collaborate with other baristas to ensure that all of the customers are taken care of in a timely fashion. A barista might be expected to perform complicated maneuvers in the job as they could be running from one customer needs to another.
Barista Resume Summary
This is how you might describe your position as a barista in a resume summary, executive summary or professional summary:
2+ years experience in a coffee house or restaurant setting. Ability to adapt quickly. Cares deeply about customer service. Has a love for coffee. Experience making coffee at home.
Barista National Average Salary
National average salary for baristas is provided by The U.S. Department of Labor. National averages are a cumulative total average as seen by a non-specific geographic mean average. That means this is the average salary that you might expect to have (regardless of geographic region) when entering into this job function.
National average salary: $8.20/hr - $14.20/hr
Barista Duties & Responsibilities
- In-store coffee and accessory sales.
- Ability to train and evaluate other teammembers.
- Sales order tracking and reporting.
- Ability to adapt quickly.
- Prepare hot and cold drinks in accordance to all customer needs.
- Maintain a clean working area.
- Follow all state health and safety guidelines as given by training.
- Apply incredible customer service.
- Greeting customers and helping them with their coffee needs.
- Helping customers with their coffee and tea equipment needs.
- Unpacking, packing and storing pastery and food for sale.
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills
- Time management skills
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Collaborative skills
- Teamwork skills
- Listening skills
- Communication skills
- Proven working experience as a barista or other service member.
- High integrity and attendance record a plus.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively.
- Experience tracking retail sales.
- Experience using retail reporting methods.
Starbucks Barista Job Description
If you're curious as to how one of the most popular coffee chains in the world presents their Barista job description, we've pulled an example from one of their job advertisements:
This position contributes to Starbucks success by providing legendary customer service to all customers. This job creates the Starbucks Experience for our customers by providing customers with prompt service, quality beverages, and products, and maintaining a clean and comfortable store environment. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Additional Barista Resources
Using This Barista Job Description Template
In order to use your new barista job description template, follow the instructions below.
- Step one: Copy and paste all sections into a new Word Document (Job Description Sample, Duties, Skills, and Requirements).
- Step two: Customize your requirements or duties to anything special to your environment. Be sure that you meet with either executive staff members or team members to qualify what requirements need to be met.
- Step three: When posting your job online, be sure to include an average salary range as this can help to prevent applicants who don't meet your criteria. Salary ranges are provided in each template.
- Step four: Before posting your job, be sure to check with your team and ensure all descriptions, duties, and requirements are accurate. This will save you from potential miscommunications during the interview process.
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Barista Interview Questions & Answers
Barista Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..