Barista Job Description (2021)
Free barista job description. A barista is a coffee making and serving professional found within a coffee shop or retail environment. The barista is responsible for making, handling, and serving a purchased coffee drink to customers. A barista may prepare cold drinks, espresso drinks, and other coffee beverages.
Baristas are coffee serving professionals. Most commonly found at Starbucks across the United States.
Barista Job Description Sample and Template
Below is a sample barista job description. Use the template to write a job description or job advertisement.
We are seeking an experienced barista or entry-level barista for our café. This coffee barista position will serve customers with world-class espresso, coffee, and specialty espresso drinks. Our barista will ensure that each customer is satisfied with their beverage and desires to return to our establishment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample barista responsibilities and job duties. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure fresh coffee beans are in the espresso machine each morning.
- Prepare an espresso drink based on a set menu and ingredients list. When customers have questions about menu items, address them with quality customer service.
- Ensure the coffee bar area is clean and organized. Wrap and label food items.
- Operate brewing equipment to brew coffee. Use coffee brewing methods as trained.
- Create specialty coffee beverages for customers. Build customer relationships. Take credit cards.
- Take food orders and serve food to customers. Take orders for coffee and tea.
- Handle food preparation in the mornings and evenings. Prepare and serve coffee and tea according to health and safety standards (safety regulations).
- Be responsible for brewing coffee every morning. And acting as a customer service agent. Prepare and serve morning coffee.
- Work closely with the store manager and shift supervisor.
- Take customer orders, prepare quality beverages, and serve each customer.
- Make sure to comply with health standards at all times. Assist in educating customers on coffee standards.
- Practice milk foaming, latte art, and general barista skills that advance you from a good barista to a great barista.
- Take time to educate yourself on coffee grinding, coffee blend making, and pouring the perfect espresso shot.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitization of all coffee-making areas. As well as bathrooms.
- Work the cash register, prepare food orders, drink orders, and stock the store.
- Sell coffee and coffee grinding or brewing equipment. Assist customers with questions related to menu items.
- Assist other baristas by preparing and serving a variety of drinks, along with pastries and cookies.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (no high school diploma okay).
- Prior café or coffee shop experience a strong plus.
- Ability to complete a barista certification program and general barista training.
- Customer service skills and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience in a retail environment.
- Previous experience in the coffee industry, food service industry, or barista position is preferred.
- Has fundamental knowledge of workplace safety standards.
- Good verbal communication skills. Ability to talk to people and build long relationships.
Starbucks Barista Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promote the culture, values, and mission of Starbucks.
- Maintains a calm demeanor during periods of high volume. Or calm demeanor during unusual events to keep the store operating to standard. And to set a positive example for the shift team.
- Anticipates customer and store needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues.
- Communicates information to manager to respond as necessary to create the Third Place environment during each shift.
- Assists with new partner training by positively reinforcing successful performance and giving respectful and encouraging coaching as needed.
- Coffee Jobs Board
- NCAUSA Career Center
- Starbucks Barista Job Board
- Barista Guild of America
- Specialty Coffee Association
- Roasters Guild
- Book: The Curious Barista’s Guide to Coffee
Related job descriptions
Download the free barista job description PDF template. And use the sample barista job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..