Best Art Director Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
An art director is a creative professional who determines the artistic direction, typography, branding, copywriting, and other visual elements to communicate a brand or product message. The art director reviews copy, layouts, designs, photography, and other creative assets. In addition, they develop budgets, timelines, and determine the best creative concepts to represent the creative director’s vision.
An art director is sometimes referred to as an advertising art director.
Art Director Job Description Sample
Our creative team is seeking a successful art director to join our art department. The art director will understand the creative process and vision set by the creative director and work closely with the design staff to properly execute the creative vision and art direction. This includes working closely with an animation director, production designer, graphic designer, assistant art director, and other staff. The art director position serves a great purpose in our design process, overseeing each creative execution by each artist to ensure they coincide with the brand vision and visual communication strategy set by the senior creative director.
Art Director Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and art director responsibilities:
- Work closely with the senior art director, assistant art director, and graphic designer to review photography, creative layouts, branding, copy, and other creative directions based on the vision set by the creative director.
- Review and determine advertising budgets and allocation. Determine the appropriate level of creative vision that needs to be set for each advertising campaign.
- Review the creative direction of all brand assets and marketing campaigns. Including art layouts, visual design, commercial art usage, visual style, graphic design, design elements, and other creative direction.
- Review each visual concept and provide feedback to their prospective artists. This includes a graphic designer, illustrator, animator, copywriter, and other creative professionals.
Art Director Qualifications
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art and Design (or Fine Art, Visual Communications).
- Previous experience in a design occupation in the creative field. As part of an advertising agency or public relations team is preferred.
- Previous experience as a junior art director is a plus.
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template
- Step 1: Replace the job duties and requirements based on information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Then post on a job board.
Top Job Boards
Related Hiring Resources5+ Best Art Director Interview Questions & Answers
Art Director Cover Letter Sample
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..