Bookkeeper Job Description Template
Free bookkeeper job description template. A bookkeeper is a professional who keeps a record of financial transactions. This professional is part of the accounting process in a business. The bookkeeper keeps records of purchases, sales, receipts, and payments for an individual or organization.
A bookkeeper is sometimes referred to as a full charge bookkeeper and auditing clerk.
Bookkeeper Job Description Sample and Template
Below is a sample bookkeeper job description that can be used to write a job posting or job advertisement.
Our business is seeking a professional bookkeeper (certified bookkeeper) to add to our finance and accounting team. The bookkeeper will work closely with the lead accountant and oversee a general ledger. This includes a financial statement report, income statement, bank deposit history, and other financial data for clients. The bookkeeper may collect supplier invoices, bank deposits, financial records, and other statements to record for our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and bookkeeper responsibilities.
- Handle payroll for clients and the company.
- Develop a monthly financial report for clients and the company.
- Handle a general ledger (a trial balance) and journal entries.
- Oversee subsidiary accounts.
- Handle recording transactions manually.
- Work closely with other finance clerks (an accounting clerk) and bookkeeping clerks.
- Oversee cash receipts and log journal entries.
- Maintain general cash flow and revenue reporting for the company.
- Provide a company balance sheet.
- Handle the company posting process (general journal to general ledger).
- Review a company's financial data and compliance by maintaining accurate books on accounts payable and receivable. In addition, assist with payroll and daily financial entries.
- Comply with state, local, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Provide financial information to the external accountant who creates the financial statements for the business.
- Assist with tax preparation. File local and federal taxes.
- Advise management on needed actions that comply with filing reports, adhering to federal requirements, local requirements, and state requirements.
Qualified candidates should have the following. The job requirements are as follows:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Holds a Finance bachelor's degree (preferably followed by accounting CPE courses).
- Certified Bookkeeper.
- Work with accounting software and bookkeeping software like Microsoft Excel.
- Previous experience in an accounting role preferred.
- Familiar with accounting software like FreshBooks, Kashoo, and KashFlow.
- Customer service skills.
According to The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average median hourly wage for a bookkeeper was $20.65. With a mean annual wage (salary) of $42,960. On the low end, a bookkeeper is paid $12.44, on average. On the high end, a bookkeeper is paid $30.01, on average.
Download the free bookkeeper job description PDF template. And use the sample bookkeeper job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
An ice breaker question is a question that’s asked from one person to another person in order to act as a conversation starter. It brings a connection...
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..