Best Custodian Job Description Sample (+ Free Template Download)
A custodian is a professional who oversees the maintenance and cleaning of buildings, hospitals, schools, and other commercial or residential accommodations. A custodian is sometimes referred to as a porter, cleaner, caretaker, or janitor. This professional ensures a clean, healthy, safe space for employees, customers, and people.
Custodian Job Description Sample
Our commercial property is searching for an experienced custodian to oversee the cleaning, safety, and quality of our building and facility (our work environment). The custodian will assist with minor repairs, cleaning floors, overseeing the cleaning equipment, coordinating with other cleaning staff, and ensure common areas are free of obstructions. The day-to-day operations of a custodian may go from vacuuming a restroom to polishing floors.
Custodian Duties and Responsibilities
Below are custodian job duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure trash receptacles (trash cans) are cleared.
- Use cleaning chemicals and other cleaning agents safely.
- Provide regular mopping to bathrooms and common areas.
- Restock toilet paper in bathrooms and restrooms.
- Vacuum carpets regularly.
- Mop common area spills.
- Use floor buffers to ensure floors are cleaned and polished.
- Change light fixtures and light bulbs.
- Oversee all cleaning duties of the restrooms.
- Handle small maintenance tasks like a leaky faucet.
- Handle custodial equipment and other essential equipment.
- Work closely with the head custodian and handle essential functions of the custodial work.
- Assist with snow removal in the winter months.
- Coordinate with the senior custodian on a regular basis.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High school diploma preferred but not required.
- Previous experience as custodial staff.
- Ability to operate equipment (and tools) like vacuum cleaners, floor polishers, and other equipment that may require physical demands.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of cleaning equipment and building cleaners preferred.
Custodian Job Description Template
Using a Job Description Template
Follow these instructions to use a job description template:
- Step 1: Replace the job title, job brief, duties and requirements, and optional work environment sections based on the information gathered from the team.
- Step 2: When the job description is finished, add an EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) statement to the bottom of the job description.
- Step 3: Double-check the job description fits the needs of the team, company, and is approved by the Human Resources department. Proofread the job description. Then post on a job board.
Job Description Format
Follow the format below when writing a job description.
For more information on writing a job description, visit this resource.
Top Job Boards
Consider posting a job description or job advertisement (referred to as a "job ad") on one of the following national job boards:
Related Hiring ResourcesCustodian Cover Letter Sample
Custodian Resume Example
Phone interviews have become a core part of the process when attempting to find a secured placement for an open position. Companies receive massive responses from potential candidates for any..
Concerning a job search, you might receive numerous offers from your recruiters. Before you choose one, you need to assess all the conditions, for which it is vital that you know everything associated with the offered position..
Answering this question during a job interview requires more than knowing why you are unique as an individual. Yes, the true scientific answer is made up of two main components: your..
So, you have been in search of a job for a considerable time but are yet to be selected for one. If that's the case, don’t worry anymore because we have got you covered..
Open-ended questions like “What motivates you?” can elicit a deer-in-the-headlights reaction from job candidates if they are unprepared. It’s a broad question and can leave the interviewer..
A lot of interviewers ask this question - how did you hear about this position? This way they can judge you if you are a passive or an active job seeker..
Writing a thank you note after an interview says a lot about you as a potential employee. Most notably, it says that you care about the opportunities presented..
Writing the perfect letter of resignation is more of an art than it is a science. And we’re going to cover how to master that art form in this full guide..
Knowing how to end a business note or email is an important skill to develop. It helps portray a sense of confidence, respect and tone to your message..